More than 16,000 athletes are anticipated to participate in the Kaiser Permanente Colfax Marathon on Sunday, May 18, 2014. To provide a safe environment for the 2014 Kaiser Permanente Colfax Marathon, the cities of Aurora, Denver and Lakewood will have temporary traffic impacts along Colfax Avenue on Sunday, May 18, 2014. While travel on Colfax Avenue will be restricted, normal traffic patterns will resume as soon as it’s safe for athletes, spectators and motorists.
- The marathon will have full and partial closures of westbound and eastbound Colfax from Aurora to Lakewood starting as early as 3 a.m. and ending as late as 1 p.m.
- Roads that cross Colfax Avenue and 17th Avenue could experience significant delays.
- The easiest places to cross Colfax Avenue between Havana and Kipling will be at Interstate 25, Havana and Kipling.
- Drivers are urged to avoid Speer Boulevard and Colfax Avenue altogether until noon.
- Crossing intersections along Colfax will be allowed on a very limited basis when safety allows and only at intersections with uniformed police officers.
- Eastbound Colfax Avenue will be open from Denver’s City Park west to Quitman Street and from Colorado Boulevard east to Ursula Street.
- Westbound Colfax will be closed from Dayton Street in Aurora to Garrison Street in Lakewood in certain sections.
- As the race progresses from Denver’s City Park to Aurora and Lakewood simultaneously, streets will open to normal traffic as rapidly as possible.
Colfax Avenue in Denver:
- Westbound Colfax will be closed.
- Colorado Boulevard between Colfax Avenue and East 23rd Avenue will be closed.
- Southbound off-ramp to I-25 at Colfax Avenue will be closed.
- Speer Boulevard at Colfax Avenue in both directions will have very long delays.
- The only places to cross Colfax Avenue will be at I-25.
- Seventeenth Street will be open as the runners will be in the far north lanes only. Some cross traffic and turns will be limited.
- The last runner will cross westbound Colfax Avenue at Speer Boulevard at approximately 7:30 a.m. and the road will open shortly after.
- The last runner will leave Perry and Colfax (they will go north and south on Perry to Sloan’s Lake, encircling it) at approximately 8:45 a.m.
- The last runner will cross westbound Colfax Avenue at Sheridan Boulevard at approximately 10 a.m.
- The last marathon runners will pass through downtown at 11:15 a.m.
- The last marathon runners will cross eastbound East 17th Avenue at Vine Street at approximately 11:25 a.m.
- The last marathon runners will enter City Park at East 21st Avenue & York Street at approximately 11:55 a.m.
The marathon will cause delays on RTD routes that run on and/or cross Colfax Avenue. Riders are encouraged to contact RTD directly for full details by calling (303) 299-6000 or visiting www.RTD-Denver.com under Detours and Alerts.