Historic preservation tax credits lower your state property tax bill.
Historic homeowners can earn credits for
- Upgrades to your house’s electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning systems.
- Exterior rehabilitation work such as foundation repairs, re-roofing, brick masonry repointing, repairs of historic woodwork, and rehabilitation of historic windows can also qualify.
- Complete an application form, and submit to Denver Landmark Preservation. You will need to include contractor bids with your application.
- Only projects consistent with historic preservation guidelines and standards qualify for the tax credits.
- For historic preservation work items, such as restoration of historic windows or brick repointing, hire a contractor with experience working on historic buildings.
- Apply in advance of beginning work, ideally at least 30 days prior to beginning work.
- Keep your project simple, ideally to include no more than a few items. Keep your historic preservation tax credit project separate from other home improvement projects.
- A tax credit project can include multiple work items, as long as the costs add up to at least $5,000.
- The eligible credit amounts to 20% of the project costs. As an example, a project to replace a deteriorated roof, install a new heating system and repair historic windows costs $30,000, earning the property owner a $6,000 state tax credit. An owner can apply this credit to taxes owed for up to 10 years.
- For more information see the State Historic Preservation Income Tax Credits page on the Denver Landmark Preservation website, and review the customer guide.
- Contact Denver Landmark Preservation staff for advice prior to applying. Receive an informal go-ahead on your project from city staff prior to submitting a formal application, since there is an upfront application fee.
This web content was added in 2019, and is accurate to the best of our abilities. Contact Denver Landmark Preservation for the most up-to-date and accurate information on the city’s design review and permit requirements.